Learn-To-Skate: Pre Free Skate-Free Skate 1-6
Each Free Skate level is comprised of a variety of progressive skating skills, transitions, spins and jumps — all of which build on the previous skill, providing skaters a strong foundation of all elements. These levels will be taught in a positive and interactive group format such as a bridge program, circuit classes or as an introductory training program. Instructors will focus on quality and mastery of skills.
Participants must receive passing certification from our instructors to move onto the next class level.
- Classes with less than 4 students may be cancelled 5 days prior to the start date.
- There will be a $15 late registration fee for any one that enrolls the day of a class.
|6:30p-7:00p||10:30-11:00am||Basic Skills 6|
Summer Sessions Schedule
|Summer 2023||Session 1||Session 2||Session 3|
June 5 - June 26
|July 10 - July 29||August 7 - August 28|
|Saturday||June 17 - July 29 (6 weeks)
(no classes on July 1st)
|August 7 - August 28||4 weeks|
Fall Sessions Schedule
|Fall 2022||Session 1||Session 2||Program Length|
|Saturday||September 10 - October 15||October 29 - December 10||6 weeks|
|Monday||September 12 - October 17||October 24 - December 5||6 weeks|
Winter/ Spring Sessions Schedule-Registration opens November 4th
|Winter/Spring 2023||Session 1||Session 2||Program Length|
|Saturday||January 7th-February 11th, 2023||February 18th-April 1st, 2023
*no class March 18th
|Monday||January 9th-February 13th, 2023||February 20th-April 3rd, 2023
*no class March 20th
Skills learned in Pre-Free Skate and Free Skate 1-6
The following skills must be mastered to advance.
- Pre-Free Skate: Forward inside open mohawk from a standstill position (R to L and L to R), Backward crossovers to a backward outside edge glides (landing position), clockwise and counterclockwise, Backward outside edge to a forward outside edge transition, clockwise and counterclockwise, Two forward crossovers into a forward inside mohawk, step down and cross behind, step into one backward crossover and step to a forward inside edge, clockwise and counterclockwise, Spins: One-foot upright spin, optional entry and free-foot position (minimum three revolutions), Jumps: Mazurka (R and L) Waltz jump Backward inside pivots, clockwise and counterclockwise (optional).
- Free Skate 1: Forward power stroking, clockwise and counterclockwise, Basic forward outside and forward inside consecutive edges (four to six consecutive edges), Backward outside three-turns (R and L), Spin: Upright spin, entry from back crossovers (min. four to six revolutions), Jumps: Half flip, Toe loop Waltz jump-side toe hop-waltz jump sequence, or waltz jump ballet jump-toe loop sequence (optional).
- Free Skate 2: Alternating forward outside and inside spirals on a continuous axis (two sets), Basic backward outside and backward inside consecutive edges (four to six consecutive edges), Backward inside three-turns (R and L), Spin: Beginning back spin (up to two revolutions), Jumps: Half Lutz, Salchow, Variation of a forward spiral, skater’s choice (optional).
- Free Skate 3: Alternating backward crossovers to back outside edges – Four sets, Alternating mohawk/crossover sequence (R to L and L to R), Waltz three-turns (forward outside three turn, backward outside edge glide), clockwise and counterclockwise, Spin: Advanced back spin with free foot in crossed leg position (min. three revolutions), Jumps: Loop jump,Waltz jump-toe loop or Salchow-toe loop combination, Toe step sequence, skater’s choice, using a variety of toe steps (optional).
- Free Skate 4: Forward power three-turns (R and L), 3 sets each, Waltz eight, clockwise and counterclockwise, Spins: Forward upright spin to backward upright spin (3 revs., each foot), Sit spin (minimum three revolutions), Jumps: Half loop, Flip, Split jump, stag jump or split falling leaf (optional).
- Free Skate 5: Skating Skills: Backward outside three-turn, mohawk (backward power three-turns), clockwise and counterclockwise, Five-step mohawk sequence, clockwise and counterclockwise, Spins: Camel spin (minimum three revolutions), Jumps: Waltz jump-loop jump combination, Lutz jump, Loop-loop combination (optional).
- Freeskate 6: Forward power pulls (R and L), Creative step sequence, skater’s choice, using a variety of three-turns, mohawks and toe steps, Spins: Camel-sit spin combination (minimum two revolutions each position), Layback or attitude spin or cross-foot spin (three revolutions), Jumps: Waltz jump-half loop-Salchow jump sequence, Backward outside pivot, entry optional (optional). @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>