- Home Page
- Public Works
- Recycling and Sustainability Resources
Recycling and Sustainability Resources
The City of Brentwood’s Sanitation Department delivers collected recycling items to Republic Services’ materials recycling facility in Hazelwood, Missouri.
DO add to the Recycling Bin:
- Flattened Cardboard
- Plastic Bottles and Containers
- Glass Bottles and Jars
- Metal Food and Beverage Cans
- Food and Beverage Cartons
Keep these items loose (not in plastic bags), clean and dry.
DON’T add to the Recycling Bin:
- Plastic Bags and Film
- Shredded Paper that is not in a paper bag
- Sharps and Needles
- Food Waste and Food-Soiled Containers
- One-Time-Use Disposables (such as plastic straws and utensils)
- Items that Tangle (such as Christmas tree lights and garden hoses)
- Light Bulbs and Glass that is not a bottle or jar
- Scrap Metal
- Shoes and Clothing
- Construction Waste
- Household Hazardous Waste
- Yard Waste
- Labels may remain on cans and bottles.
- Glass is usually broken during collection or transit, so the lids may be on or off the bottles.
- Metal lids may remain with metal cans or be separated, since magnets collect the steel products.
- Recycling centers prefer that you leave the plastic cap on a plastic bottle so that the caps do not fall out of the conveyor system.
"Wish-cycling" is the practice of placing questionable items in your recycling bin with the hope that the items will be recycled. Even if this is done with good intentions, the impact can be harmful. Wish-cycling is detrimental because it puts a lot of items in the recycling stream that don't belong there, can contaminate perfectly good recyclables, and can damage the equipment in recycling facilities. Items like garden hoses, extension cords, plastic bags, paper cups and plastic utensils all reduce the value of recyclables. Stick to the list of six acceptable items so Brentwood can gain the most from its recycling program.
Republic Services - Recycling Basics
Republic Services - Recycling Simplified
Saint Louis County Recycle Wizard
Saint Louis Household Hazardous Waste
Residential Paper Shredding and Electronics Recycling Events
The City of Brentwood hosts quarterly collection events for residential paper shredding and electronics recycling. These events are open to Brentwood residents as well as non-residents.
Residential Paper Shredding 2023 Dates
February 4, May 6, August 5, November 4
Electronics Recycling 2023 Dates
March 4, May 13, August 12, December 9
Visit stlcityrecycles.com/database for more recycling options.
Saint Louis County Recycle Wizard
Brentwood Police Department Lobby
272 Hanley Industrial
Monday-Friday, 8 am-4 pm
Donate New and Gently-Used Furniture and Home Goods
Home Sweet Home
290 Hanley Industrial Court
Monday-Friday, 9 am-2 pm
Donate Art Supplies and Other Reusable Resources
St. Louis Teachers' Recycle Center
Brentwood/Rock Hill/Webster Groves Freecycle Facebook Group
Rainscaping is any combination of plantings, water features, catch basins, permeable pavement, and other activities that manage stormwater as close as possible to where it falls, rather than moving it someplace else. Rainscaping features help improve water quality by slowing down, spreading out and soaking rainwater into the ground before it carries pollutants into nearby storm drains and streams. Visit deercreekalliance.org to learn more.