Recycling and Sustainability Resources
The City of Brentwood’s Sanitation Department delivers collected recycling items to Republic Services’ materials recycling facility in Hazelwood, Missouri.
DO add to the Recycling Bin:
- Flattened Cardboard
- Plastic Bottles and Containers
- Glass Bottles and Jars
- Metal Food and Beverage Cans
- Food and Beverage Cartons
Keep these items loose (not in plastic bags), clean and dry.
DON’T add to the Recycling Bin:
- Plastic Bags and Film
- Shredded Paper that is not in a paper bag
- Sharps and Needles
- Food Waste and Food-Soiled Containers
- One-Time-Use Disposables (such as plastic straws and utensils)
- Items that Tangle (such as Christmas tree lights and garden hoses)
- Light Bulbs and Glass that is not a bottle or jar
- Scrap Metal
- Shoes and Clothing
- Construction Waste
- Household Hazardous Waste
- Yard Waste
- Labels may remain on cans and bottles.
- Glass is usually broken during collection or transit, so the lids may be on or off the bottles.
- Metal lids may remain with metal cans or be separated, since magnets collect the steel products.
- Recycling centers prefer that you leave the plastic cap on a plastic bottle so that the caps do not fall out of the conveyor system.
- Take long fluorescent bulbs to Lowe's, Home Depot or Metro Lighting for responsible recycling
"Wish-cycling" is the practice of placing questionable items in your recycling bin with the hope that the items will be recycled. Even if this is done with good intentions, the impact can be harmful. Wish-cycling is detrimental because it puts a lot of items in the recycling stream that don't belong there, can contaminate perfectly good recyclables, and can damage the equipment in recycling facilities. Items like garden hoses, extension cords, plastic bags, paper cups and plastic utensils all reduce the value of recyclables. Stick to the list of six acceptable items so Brentwood can gain the most from its recycling program.
Residential Paper Shredding and Electronics Recycling Events
The City of Brentwood hosts quarterly collection events for residential paper shredding and electronics recycling.
Residential Paper Shredding 2021 Dates
February 6, May 1, August 7, November 6
Residential Paper Shredding 2022 Dates
February 5, May 7, August 6, November 5
Electronics Recycling 2021 Dates
March 27, June 26, September 25, December 18
Electronics Recycling 2022 Dates
February 19, June 25, September 24, December 17
Visit stlcityrecycles.com/database for more recycling options.
Brentwood Police Department Lobby
272 Hanley Industrial
Monday-Friday, 8 am-4 pm
Donate New and Gently-Used Furniture and Home Goods
Home Sweet Home
290 Hanley Industrial Court
Monday-Friday, 9 am-2 pm