Learn-To-Skate: Basic 1-6
Ages 6-17. The “basic skills” are the fundamentals of the sport. These six levels of the program introduce the fundamental moves: forward skating, backward skating, stops, edges, crossovers, turns and Mohawks. Upon completion of the Basic 1-6 levels, skaters will have a basic knowledge of the sport, enabling them to advance to more specialized areas of skating.
Participant must have received a passing certification from our instructors to move to the next class level.
- Classes with less than 4 students may be cancelled 5 days prior to the start date.
- There will be a $15 late registration fee for any one that enrolls the day of a class.
|Winter/Spring 2024||Session 1||Session 2||Program Length|
|Saturday||Jan. 6 - Feb. 10||Feb. 17 - March 23||6 Weeks|
|Monday||Jan. 8. - Feb. 12||Feb. 19 - March 25||6 Weeks|
|Summer 2022||Session 1||Session 2||Session 3|
|Monday||June 5 - June 26||July 10 - July 31||August 7 - August 28|
|Saturday||June 17 - July 29 (6 weeks)
(no classes on July 1st)
|August 5 - August 26||4 weeks|
|Fall 2023||Fall Session 1||Fall Session 2||Program Length|
|Saturday||September 19 - October 14||October 21 - December 2
(No class Nov. 25)
|Monday||September 11 - October 16||October 21 - December 4
(No class Nov. 20)
- Basic 1: Sit on ice and stand up, March forward across the ice, Forward two-foot glide, Dip, Forward swizzles — 6–8 in a row, Backward wiggles — 6–8 in a row, Beginning snowplow stop on two feet or one foot, Two-foot hop in place (optional).
- Basic 2: Scooter pushes — R and L, Forward one-foot glides — R and L, Backward two-foot glide — Glide the length of skater’s height, Rocking Horse (one forward swizzle, one backward swizzle) — Repeat twice, Backward swizzles — 6–8 in a row, Two-foot turns from forward to backward in place — clockwise and counterclockwise, Moving snowplow stop, Curves (optional).
- Basic 3: Beginning forward stroking showing correct use of blade, Forward half swizzle pumps on a circle — 6–8 consecutive clockwise and counterclockwise, Moving forward to backward two foot turns on a circle — clockwise and counterclockwise, Beginning backward one-foot glides — focus on balance, Backward snowplow stop — R and L, Forward slalom, Forward pivots - clockwise and counterclockwise (optional).
- Basic 4: Forward outside edge on a circle — R and L, Forward inside edge on a circle — R and L, Forward crossovers — clockwise and counterclockwise, Backward half swizzle pumps on a circle — clockwise and counterclockwise, Backward one-foot glides — R and L, Beginning two-foot spin — Up to two revolutions, Forward lunges — both legs (optional).
- Basic 5: Backward outside edge on a circle — R and L, Backward inside edge on a circle — R and L, Backward crossovers — clockwise and counterclockwise, Forward outside three-turn — R and L, Advanced two-foot spin — 4–6, Hockey stop — both directions, Side toe hop — R and L (optional).
- Basic 6: Forward inside three-turn — R and L, Moving backward to forward two foot turn on a circle — clockwise and counterclockwise, Backward stroking, Beginning one-foot spin — 2–4 revolutions, optional free leg position and entry, T-stops – R and L, Bunny hop, Forward spiral on a straight line — R or L, Shoot the duck — R or L (optional). @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>